Sunday, June 15, 2014

What Fathers Day Means To Me This Year


Normally, Fathers Day to me is just another Hallmark holiday.   An opportunity to buy a card and maybe a gift for your father as a means of saying I love you and thank you.  I didn't mean to take them lightly in the past, but I did.  This year, Fathers Day has an entirely different meaning.  Maybe I am the only one that felt this way, given my history of lack o sensitivity which Nancy can attest to.  This year is definitely different for obvious reasons.   

Another Special Prayer Moment


Our family tries, meaning we are not always consistent as we desire, to have a family prayer once a night.   We normally hold hands and go in a circle and everyone say something they want to give praise about or any concerns to get on the table.  It was late last night so I just asked for a volunteer to led us.  Ross quickly volunteer.   99% of the time Ross closes us in prayer with the Lord's prayer.  That is what I was expecting last night too.   Man, was I wrong.  

They say out of the mouths of babes come amazing thingsa and Ross really surprised us.   He said the most heart filled, compassionate, and sweetest prayer.  It was all about me having a good day on the special day that is Fathers Day.   Nancy and Sarah both lost it and needed a paperclip to keep it together.   Ross got a little too excited that he made them cry with just a prayer.  He got to me as well.  It was really special and another gentle reminder that God is with Ross and working through Ross. 

Reflection 


Nancy, Ross, and Sarah were able ot go to church this morning and I have the house to myself.   It is nice, although I miss my faamily.   It has given me time to really reflect on what Fathers Day means to me today, and it's a lot.  

I can't help but remember such fond memories of my dad and I and the many great experiences we had together.   The reality is that it isn't the quantity but the quality.    We didn't fish together weekly, but I think I remember everytime we did.  

One of the items that I have been thinking about, in the spirit of openness and transparency, is how is Ross going to remember me in the future.   Will he remember me?    Everytime I start thinking this, God intervenes.   It is almost like he is sitting right beside me saying "He willl, don't you worry about that".   

I am grateful that I was present for Sarah's entire upbringing so I know she has the memories.   I just hope she focuses on the good ones and the other ones are quickly erased.   I have not, will not, be perfect.   Certain planted some bad memories somewhere out there that I hope fad with time.  

After Ross said his magical prayer last night, I am certain he will remember me.   I am also certain that Fathers Day will mean something special to him, and Sarah and Nancy, in the future more so now.  

Take The TIme Today To Express Love


All of this reflection is also a reminder that for those of you that have fathers that are alive today, make sure you make it special for them.   Don't wait until they are gone to realize how special they are.  Regardless of their age and health status, good or bad, don't take your dad's presence for granted.  Go find him and hug him now.

Which then prompts me to wonder why we need a Hallmark holiday to remind us of that.   I think it is a great idea to live every day reminding our loved ones how special they are to us and how much we love them.   I find myself doing that almost hourly right now.  

Proverbs 23:24

New American Standard Bible (NASB)

24 The father of the righteous will greatly rejoice,
And he who sires a wise son will be glad in him.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Josh . . . These words do not adequately express how much of an inspiration you have been to me. Your faith, kindness and passion were evident from the first time we met at Clear Lake Presbyterian many years ago. I can recall the great insights you provided during discussions at men’s bible study. I also remember the fun we had riding in the group rides preparing for the MS-150. An image I will never forget is of you and Sarah riding on a tandem bicycle the whole way to Austin!
    Although our paths separated due to my relocation, I have been a member of your “cheering section” praying for you from afar. I am not much of a Facebook person but I joined so I could read your posts and stay connected. Your messages continue to inspire me to step out in faith and courage and to increase my knowledge of God’s word and to serve others. You have had a profound impact on my life and I am forever grateful that our paths have crossed. Josh - you are an amazing person and a blessing to all of us whose lives you have touched.

    Your friend in Christ . . . Steve Aldrich

    ReplyDelete