Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saying Goodbye

Sarah went back to Tulane on Friday.   We decided as a family that is the best thing for her to do.   Tulane volleyball has demonstrated nothing but love for Sarah and has given her a great deal of flexibility in her schedule.  As has her professors.  This flexibility will continue, so she can jump on SWA and be back to Brownwood in a snap when the appropriate time comes this summer.  However, it was still hard because it may have been the last time I will see her with a clear head on my part.

She has to start class on Monday for the second summer semester, which she is taking two classes and also kicks off their version of "volleyball spring training".   And it is time for her to keep living. 


While this post is about me having to say goodbye to good friends on an almost daily basis, I am not saying goodbye to everyone all at once.  I have more to write, more to say, and God is not quite done with me yet.

It was hard. 


Saying goodbye to your kids when they go off college is never easy.   It is extra complicated when you are in my condition.  Sarah and I did have great conversation and we are both at peace.  I am certain I will see her again, as I am everyone else one way or another.


Saying Good Bye to Friends


Saying goodbye to friends that we may not see this side of Glory has been difficult, on everyone.   We are all at peace but it is sad to say goodbye.  I am certain that Gods plan includes reconnecting all of us at some point on the other side of Glory. I am confident this will happen, especially after seeing how much time can pass on earth and yet we still connected with old friends and family.  


Focus on God's Plan


Saying goodbye for me has been one of those sad exercises where I still have to focus on God's plan and not mine.  Which is where I am now emotionally.   This is a big shift as well.  Before we had the MD Anderson safety net to fall back on if I needed medical attention.  Now that I know there is no medical attention that will help and there is no MDA safety net, all I have left is God's plan.  This is good enough for me because it is all I really had to begin with.


Hebrews 11:13-16 

New American Standard  Bible






13 All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. 14 For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. 15 And indeed if they had been [l]thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not [m]ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them.

3 comments:

  1. I cried through this entire post....you are an amazing man, Josh Strasner...with an equally amazing wife...with an even more amazing God. You all are in our prayers daily...prayers for comfort, prayers for peace, prayers for strength, and yes...still prayers for healing. We love you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace and blessings. Praying for peace for you and your sweet family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, I've been folliwing you through Whitney Gillis. I went to CHS, too, class of '83. I'm praying for you and your family, and really just humbled by how you are handling this with such grace. Sharing your story is really a gift, because we will all go through this with a loved one or ourselves. I hope I always remember your faith, strength, and love. God bless you. ----Annie (Micale) Webb

    ReplyDelete