Saturday, June 14, 2014

Summer of 1979

Growing up Las Lomas Style

I would not change anything about where I grew up, how I grew up, and what i did growing up - except maybe upon reflection more involved in youth groups. 

When I say "grew up", I am referring to my late elementary - Jr High, and High School years.   This post is really focused around my Jr HIgh years.   

We did not live in San Angelo proper, but rather out in a small country community just outside of San Angelo.   It was perfect.   The Cobb family had big developmenet dreams but they never really transpired.   This was fine with us because we had what we needed.   

Our house was one of about 15 homes in a stand alone neighborhood.   I thought we had a big house, but looking at it now I realize not so much.    It was a comfortable 1,400 sq ft home that met our needs.    The back of our house was ranch land that goes all the way to Christoval before you hit civilization. Go up the street to the right and you will run into farm land just over a rail road track (that no longer exists).  Walk straight out our front door, you will eventually get to San Angelo after walking over San Angelo Country Club (several miles away).   We were surrounded by empty land of all types.  

However, when you head our front door and head left, then you really went somewhere - Lake Nasworthy (or Lake Nastywater as it is frequently referred to as).    We also had the Concho River feed into the lake right by our house.   Our neightborhood of 15 homes also had private access to about 17 acres of lakefront property that included a private pool, private boat dock, and a killer rope swing that went from a large oak tree on the bank to the lake.   It was perfect.   

As for toys, I was spoiled.  I didn't feel spoiled at the time because I had to work a lot, but looking back - I was spoiled.  I had motorcycles, we had a ski boat, small john boat, canoe, and a pop-up camper.   Everything we needed.  

The most important part of the neighborhood was the friends that I had there.   I was fortunate that we had a small pack of kids my age (+/- 2 yrs) living just among 15 houses.   The Detlofs (Hi Dana!), the Harwells (Hi Cherisa and Kevin), the Perrines (Hey David and RIP Larry), Michelle Cobb, the Ballingers, Ruth Meued, Brian Wood, ... these are the people that made my upbringing so great.  I have such fond memories of this time of my life and so grateful for all of these people. 

Summer of 1978, or '79

I am not sure exactly what year it was, but we were not driving yet and I was in Jr High, was an exceptional summer.   Upon reflection it is even more special, knowing what I know now that I didn't realize then.  

My parents dear friends are the Stones, who happened to live in Austin.   They have several kids but two of which are same age as me and we were all born on the same Kansas AFB at the same time.   Harold & Barry Stone are twins who are my age and to this day two of my closest friends, regardless of how much or little we see each other.  

During Jr High, their mother Mary, was suffering from colon cancer, which eventually took her life.   I did not know this at that time, but my parents wanted to watch Harold & Barry for the summer while Mary went through chemo.  So Harold & Barry moved in with us for 6-8 weeks - maybe shorter but seemed like a lifetime of fun.  

Since we believe in more than merrier, it was pretty common for my cousin Troy Richards to come stay with us in the summer too.  Most of our family lived in San Angelo and the surrounding communtities (i.e. Eola, when Eola was a real farm community).  Troy lived in North Carolina, and it was normal for Troy to come stay with us.

What a time we had.  Having four jr high boys shack up in an environment like Las Lomas with access to the toys, land, and friends we had was just dangerous.   Somehow we survivied, but I am not sure how.  

We got trucks stuck in the mud, wrecked a boat, fixed a boat, set fire to campgrounds (accident), multiple motorcycle wrecks, sneaking the truck to town, exceeded our driving limit of a 14/15 year old by driving to Eola and Wall, water skiing, fishing, exploring up the Concho (trying to canoe to Chistoval), shooting varmits, etc.... you name it, we did it.  

We didn't always get along and had our disputes.  I think a few of the fights we had were pretty epic for jr high boys.   When the twins started using weapons, we were careful with our arguments. 

God Provides

I wanted to share this post primarily for my kids, realizing I just set a wrong example for Ross.  The real moral of the post is that when I reflect upon all phases of my life, I have had an unbelievable and great life.   I am not sure there is a "normal" life but mine was unique in a way not normal and it was perfect.  

My prayer is that Ross can find the same enjoyment, fun, friends, and memories growing up in Brownwood that I experienced in San Angelo.   Brownwood is beyond the perfect place to raise a boy and we are off to a great start.   He spends the majority of time playing like I played in elementary and this brings great joy and happiness to me.   I am sure it will continue but he will have more access to organized sports than I did - and that is a good thing too!   God has provided for us.  

My second prayer is that Sarah has fond memories of her time growing up in Clear Lake.   I am very confident this is the case.  Growing up Clear Lake is completely different that growing up Las Lomas Style (which is closer to Brownwood), but I am certain she had a great upbringing.  Her kayak and beach experiences were very similar my San Angelo upbringing.   I am also so thankful for the camping and hiking experiences that she was able to have as father-daughter, as a family, and with her friends & youth group.  A Jeep Wrangler is the perfect vehicle for Sarah.  It suits her well.  God has provided for us.  

My third prayer is that Sarah can continue to have an outstanding college experience.   It is extremely difficult to attend classes at an tough university like Tulane and play sports and maintain a life and stay close to God - but she seems to be able to pull it off.   I am so proud of her and so thankful of the fulll scholarship she is receiving.   That in itself is such a financial blessing to us at this time.   God has provided for us.

I have many more prayers, especially for Nancy, regarding the memories of my family.   I am full of peace and happiness knowing that settling in Brownwood was the right decision and that my family is in the best possibe position to let the good memorieis continue to be created knowing we wil be reunited for enternity in what I hope is the distant future on earth time (for their behalf).   God continues to provide for us.

2 comments:

  1. Growing up in las lomas really was a blast! When my son came along we used the golf cart more than the four wheelers and tore up and down the railroad track pretty much every day until we moved into town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Josh my whole family agrees that growing up in Las Lomas was a blessing for us. We had the freedom to grow and learn on our own with that pack of kids. And we were a pack...... We traveled all around the hood and into town as a pack. That rope swing into Nasty Water was such a blast much less all of us driving before we were of age :-) I am glad Ross will have something similar. Las Lomas gave us such a safe and fun neighborhood to get us started in this big world

    ReplyDelete