Saturday, June 21, 2014

Advice to 35 Year Old Josh

A few people have asked what advice I would give myself now if I could talk to myself back when I was 35.   Interesting question.   Not sure the answer will be as interesting as the question. 

The first obvious advice is to get a colonoscopy at any sign of colon cancer, regardless of what doctors are saying.  I had blood in my stool starting in my 30's and went to the doctor several times about it.   They were pretty persistent that it was never related to cancer.  They always related it to hemorrhoids or a fizzier (tear).  Especially since I was under 50 and had no family history of colon cancer.  While they were probably right with the those early symptoms, at some point it was cancer.   Had they performed a colonoscopy at the right time, we would have caught this horrible disease and I would not be in the position I am in. 

Advice for you all:  If you have any symptoms of colon cancer, insist on a colonoscopy.   If you have a family history of cancer, then you need to get screened 10 years before the age your family member was when they were diagnosed.  Since I was 46 when I was diagnosed with colon cancer, Sarah and Ross need to start getting colonoscopies regularly when they are 36. 

My next advice for myself would be to get good life insurance beyond work group policies, and to take full advantage of any work group life insurance (i.e. buy up additional coverage if you can).   When I was 35, worrying about how Nancy and Sarah would provide for themselves in case I died was not at the top of mind and thus my actions. I am fortunate that I did think of it in time, but I had a few risky years there.  This advice is especially true for anybody with a family who depends on your income for survival.  

Get your estate in order, and keep it that way.  It has only been in the last three years that we have taken steps that we should have taken a long time ago. Everyone should have their Will & Testament, Medical Power of Attorney, Power of Attorney, and Advance Directives written by an attorney with copies stored in their proper place (safety deposit box/safe, with attorney office, with witnesses and others in the document, etc).   Pre-purchasing a burial plot and funeral stuff.  This can be put off a little when you decided where you want to buried, but no need put it off or to put it off on your survivor to decide.  They will have enough on their plate. 

Find God.  Everyone has their own faith journey and will find God at their own pace.  However, if I was giving advice to myself at 35 I would try to find a way to expedite my faith journey so that I can get to where I am now a little faster than I did.  Not sure how to do that, but I am sure a smart 35 year old can figure it out.  Definitely getting more involved in service activities and realization that Kingdom of God is in the here and now as well as in Heaven.  

Take the Finances More Serious.  When I was in mid-30's, I had the same attitude as I did in the 20's thinking there would always be time to save money.  I would coach myself to still live life with a large dose of spontaneity but also make sure and set aside a little more money to tithe and invest for the future.  

Add a Little Spontaneity to Life.  Ok, this is advice I took in my mid-30's that I did take vs advice I would go back and give myself.   We always lived our live making impulse decisions, including purchasing big ticket items.   Not very smart to do that.  However, doing things like last minute vacations with no real schedules - definitely do that!  I am firmly against too much organization in life that you fail to live.  Of course there is a line somewhere between too little organization and just being stupid.  I am sure I crossed that line a few times. 

The best advice I would give my 35 year old self would be to read more scripture so you can get advice like this gold nugget: 


Matthew 6:33-34

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
33 But [a]seek first [b]His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be [c]added to you.  34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will [d]care for itself. [e]Each day has enough trouble of its own.


2 comments:

  1. The answer is great! Good advice at 35 or any age. Even at 50+ we still think there's plenty of time for that...until their isn't.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tami....good advise.

    ReplyDelete