Thursday, June 19, 2014

Special Thank You


We have been so blessed by having so many people stepping up and sharing this journey with us.   Most, including you, have been able to provide by prayer and words of encouragement. That in itself makes you special and I am so grateful.  Several local families have brought over food, cookies, even prayer shawls while others (Scotty and Emily Crawford) are able to just graciously stop by for spiritual (Scotty is our local pastor and neighbor) and practical support (Thanks for helping me up after the fall!).  I also know a group that wants to contribute financially so we are working on setting that up as another means to give.   We have had some awesome and blessed Deacons like Page and Denice that took care of us in Houston.  

I can't say enough about how grateful I am to my family - my mom, Val, Nancy Kay, and my immediate family - for  always being here for me. I spoke of the impact and strength I have gained from Sarah, Ross, and Nancy - but be able to spend time with my sisters has been rewarding and special.  My Mom who spent many months in Houston helping during Nancy's cancer treatments and mine taking care of the kids and house. 

Nancy's sister LeeAnn, and her husband Ray Frazier, are also two people who we have beeen able to renew a good relationship into a great relationship since moving to Brownwood.  The help she has been to us is invaluable, especially watching Ross while we made trips to MDA, ensuring Ross got to baseball practice and games, and just stepping up to be a tremendous help to us.   We are so grateful to LeeAnn and put them into a special group as well.      

There is also a group like the Tribble family, Ellis family, and McGregors who let us stay with them every other week on a six week rotation.  It was a huge stress reliever to be able to stay with close friends who feed us and loved on us those many nights.  After chemo I did not feel well and they put up with that as well which takes some really special people. 

There are a few people who I want to recognize because of their special care they have given to us.  It is always dangerous to call out just a few people.   Certainly do not mean to offend anybody else.  I have a big group in my company of a happy few (i.e. Gordon McDonald - A Resilent Life).


Jimmy & Marilu McGregor 


We first met the McGregors when we moved to Houston in 2001 and Jimmy was leading the Saturday Night Alive class.  He was, and still is, a very gifted teacher of all things Scripture and helping others with their walk with God.   Marilu has the same gift of compassion, generosity, and knowledge.  You combine those traits and you really get something!  

Jimmy & Marilu quicky evolved into some of our closest friends.   We soon found oursleves spending so much time with the McGregors - church related and social related.  This are the people who we socialized with when not doing something with the family, church, or work.    

We do not think it was a coincedence that the day that Jimmy retired after a great 30 year career with ExxonMobile (Feb 18, 2011) was the same day I was diagnosed with cancer.   Jimmy and Marilu were the first people we called.  They had big retirement plans but put them all on hold to take care of me during those first few months.   Not many people would buy a RV and Jeep, get all ready for a year long excursion, and then just put it on hold for a friend.  I am forever grateful.  

I had multiple guys that would be sitting next to me in the hospital when I woke up, even at 5:00 AM, but Jimmy was always there for me.  Nancy had multiple people always sit with her through many hours of stressful surgeries and again Marilu was one of many that was always there for her.  

Fast forward to today,  they are on vacation in the east coast and once again cutting it short to come back and check on me. They both have contacted Nancy and me on a daily basis since they left.   I am so grateful for the McGregors!  


Troy Richards


I am not sure words can explain my feelings for Troy Richards.  He is my cousin (my mothers little sisters son) and somebody I have been friends with my entire life.  We have been friends since birth.  Our friendship growing up was solid.  He was raised in North Carolina when I was in San Angelo.  He did come to San Angelo every summer during those influential years (late elementary, Jr High) he would come a stay with us duirng the summer.   Many great memories of those times growing up.  

We had a gap in time when we didn't see each other but picked up where we left off after he moved to Dallas.  In our life, our relationship has actual grown closer.   We both have had successful professional careers and actually worked togethere twice.  I always worked hard not to show any favortism and he did the same.  We never kept it a secret but never made a big deal out of it either.  In this last position, Troy actualy worked for me and was our top performer.  This had nothing to do with me.   Troy is just a successful guy that I am proud of. 


Today


As I mentioned in some other post, I honestly believe that the pre-cancer time of my life was just training for me to deal with this last three years of my life and cancer.   I believe that the relationship between Troy and I evolved at the same pace and was accelerated with my cancer diagnosis.  

When Nancy was diagnosed with cancer, we quickly realized that we needed to officially name a God Father for Ross.   After much prayer and careful deliberation, we selected Troy and the Richards.  We felt their family lifestyle closely mirrored our life style which would make an easy transition for Ross.  With two parents with cancer, we needed to take this role serious and needed who we selected to take the role equally as serious.  Troy did this.   He has embraced this role and gone through a great deal of effort to take a well built bridge built between two families (his and mine) and make it even a better bridge.   

Troy has stepped up like nobody else, and beyond expectations of anybody, in helping Nancy and I during these last three years.   The harder the work gets, the more Troy seems to get done.   He and his family - including Uncle Rich and Aunt Monnie, are really special people in our lives.  


In Closing 


What gives me the most strength, peace, and happiness is knowing that McGregors and Richards are there for us now and will be there for Nancy and my family in the future.  I know they are not the only ones.   I know Val, Nancy Kay, LeeAnn, and my entire extended family will be there for Nancy as well.  

So this long post is my way of saying a special THANK YOU and  I LOVE YOU to both Jimmy and Troy.    You two guys are really special and I am so grateful to have both of you in my life in the past-present-and-future. 

Who is the Jimmy and Troy in your life?  Who is in your happy few?  I think this is a serious question that I have given testimonies about in the past.  Go to YouTube and search CLPCTube.   Look for the five minute video of skinny Josh. 

Let's have a blessed day!
Josh & Nancy (who helped contribute to this post out of the gratitude she has)

No comments:

Post a Comment