Friday, June 13, 2014

Josh Strasner? Jesus Freak? Really?

One question I get a lot in conversation now from people who have known me for 30+ years, is "When did you exactly find God because I don't remember you being as religous as you are now?".   I know I wrote a post on my faith journey but this question really made me think about a specific event that changed me.

It's a great question that has no easy answer.  I know some people grew up with God and never left him.  Others had a "savior moment" where some event prompted them to be saved by immediately turning their life over to Jesus Christ.  

As I have said in previous post, my faith journey has been a conversion over time comprised of multiple events instead of one single event.   I think this is more because of my own hard head and stubburness than anything.  Upon reflection, there are a coupe of major events that "advance" my faith journey and each event brought me dramatically closer to God. 

Sarah's Birth and Prayer 

Sarah's birth and all of circumstances leading up to it was probably the biggest single event in drawing me closer to God.  I have said the story many times and have it out on YouTube somewhere per testimony I gave once at CLPC.  

Nancy and I were married very young.   She was 24 and just out of ASU.   I was 21 and still finishing college at Southwest Texas State University.   We were young, broke, and living in Austin (technicaly Round Rock).  For some strange reason we also drove a Ford Astro van.   Why a young couple in Austin decided on a mini-van as a primary vehicle is probably some sign of how geeky we were or how bad we wanted to have a family with kids.  

We wanted to have children but wanted to get out of school, get a job, get some savings, and make a few trips.   Then we wanted to crank out a few kids.  That was the plan.  What happened in reality was years of stress, anger, and frustration. 

We spent almost ten years trying to have a child.  We went through everything you can go through, including spending a lot of money on infertility doctors.  We were finally told that we just medically not able to have children.  We then started looking into adoption and all of the various options - open, closed, domestic, international, young, old, new born....

At this time, we had moved to The Colony, Texas from Austin and had started attending Trinity Presbyterian Church.   We enjoyed the church but still were kind of just going through the motions at church.   We did start getting involved with Presbyterian Childrens Home which is a ministry that provides services to children in need.   After working with those kids we decided to talk David Frehling, our pastor at TPC, about adopting an older child with some baggage.   

One Sunday, we approached David right before the service asking that we talk to him after the service about adopting.  His response shocked me.   He said I didn't know you all were trying to have kids.   You guys need to pray for your own kids and not adoption.   We explained we had prayed and been trying for years.   He then really put me in my place by saying that if I had not mentioned it to others and certainly never raised it with him, then we really have not prayed about it to the best of our ability and like God expects.  

He then kicked off that service with a special prayer request that Nancy and I have a child.   We were overwhelmed with people offering to pray and putting us on prayer lists.  

Then about a six weeks later, I retruned from a Ranger game where I had been working a concession stand for our church, along with our pastor.   When I arrived home at 2:00 AM, Nancy was awake and said she was pregnant again.  I was floored and shocked.   The next Sunday we told Dave before service and he hollered with joy, and promptly kicked of the service again with a special prayer that we will carry this child to term, and we did.   Sarah Jane was born and has turned out to be a very special person.  

This event of praying for a child in a very open and transparent manner, and having Sarah after 10 years of effort only being successful after invoking the power of prayer to our fullest extent brought me dramaticaly closer to God.  It was also a lesson in being open and transparent.  God, and others, need to hear our biggest challenges and prayers.  I realize that some are just too personal, but my view now is bigger the challenge the more open the prayer should be. 

Knowledge of Scripture


Part of getting closer to God was not only increased participation in church and prayer, but more effort to read scripture and just a desire to learn and understand.  Again, there isn't a specfic day or event I can remember, but at some point during this part of my faith journey I had an epiphony about Heaven-Hell-Kingdom of God.   

One of my "dis-satisfactions" with church growing up and various churches I had attended over the years, mostly visisting, was the focus on getting into Heaven vs Hell.   It seemed that is what all sermons were about and every key message was on this.  This probably was not the case, but it was my perception and what I remembered.   This didn't exactly bring me closer to God.  I also know now that every church / pastor / denomination has a different stance and position on this message and some enforce it more than others.  I also know now it is an important topic, but I wanted more out of a relationship with God than a pass to Heaven when my time comes (although that seem pretty darn important right now as I write this !).  

I have been very fortunate to have great pastors to learn from spiritually over the last 15-20 years.   Each one is very different and I learned something different from each of them.  I think though I will have to credit Steve Olgesbee, the current Sr Pastor at Clear Lake Presbyterian Church for consistently delivering the message that hit me hard and dramatically advanced my relationship with Jesus Christ and God.   I also credit my buddy Jimmy McGregor and others who have led me in small group and Sunday school classes to deliver the same message.  

So what is this message?  That the Kingdom of God exists in the here and now.  The topic of getting into Heaven and avoid Hell is important and is addressed, but that has not been the main focus of the message delivered from the pupits I have been listening to.   I am not trying to start a debate between Protestant denominations and I know there is a long theology debate on this topic somewhere.   I am just not that smart.   I just know I like the idea that the Kingdom of God is in the here & now.  

This means that I am taking the assumption that I will get into Heaven.   I am human and a sinner by nature, but firmly believe and understand God gave His one and only son to give others enternal life (summary of John 3:16).  I do what I can to consistently seek forgiveness for sins I do, and I have plenty.  

This understanding that the Kingdom of God is here and now completely shifted my mindset and relationship with God from "How do I get into Heaven" to 


  • What can I be doing more of today and tomorrow to carry out the great Commission (make more disciples of God) ?
  • What can I be doing more of to help serve others, regardless of my situation?

The "What can I do to get into Heaven" is still there and has not gone away, nor it' significance in having a relationship with God.   

In Closing 

I am so thankful that I am now a Jesus freak with a great relatonship with God.   It did take me a long time, but I finally got here, and just in time!   I also have to close with my favorite scripture and one that has guided me for several years, way before my cancer diagnosis, which is Hebrews 12:1-3

Jesus, the Example

12 Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, [a]fixing our eyes on Jesus, the [b]author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

For consider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary [c]and lose heart.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Josh, Your words are truly inspired by God. I am so glad that Kay suggested that I friend you. You spoke of your willingness to be transparent and let others pray for you. Several of my friends have also friended you and I want you to know that we are all praying for you. Thank you for being such a blessing to so many people.

    ReplyDelete