Tuesday, June 17, 2014

My Soul Mate

Nancy Jane Gill (Strasner) 

I decided that Nancy is all deserving of a blog post by herself.  Specifically how she went from a stranger to soul mate, at a high level.   I do not think it was your usual engagement proces, but then again, is there a normal engagement process?  

The Early Days


I was a Sr in high school but working full time at Bowman's Lumber Co in San Angelo.   Julianne Lindsey was our cashier.  Nancy was Julianne's best friend and roommate.  I was a real goofball.  The only thing I had going for me was that I had acces to my dad's ski boat and our private docking area out at Las Lomas.  Juliann introduced me to Nancy as "they guy with the boat".   They used me and I couldn't be happier.  

We soon had a new group of friends that we spent the majority of time either working, going to school (ASU), or hanging out at the Lake camping and skiing.   

Nancy and I were not "dating" but became really close friends.  I was actually dating a girl from Brazil for a little while and Nancy was dating a few different guys.   It was a bit strange because that summer after high school, it wasn't uncommon for Nancy to join me on dates with the girl from Brazil (Deb).

Dating Now?


I am not exactly sure when we crossed the line from being best friends to dating, but I think it was when we both realized that it had been a long time since either of us had gone on a date with anybody else.  It was a slow process that aged like a fine wine, getting better over time.  

We had such a great time back in those days.   We never talked about the future.   I don't recall any conversations about marriage and kids and stuff.  Although we did have deep conversations where we shared our dreams.    We mainly acted like a couple of best friends in college.

Graduation


Being three years older in age, and two years apart in school, Nancy was ready to graduate from ASU and get on with her life.   I was just starting my college life with just one year under my belt at ASU. We had started talking a little about marriage by this point but had no real plans or intentions.  I had also considered transferring to Texas Tech when Nancy graduated and left San Angelo.  

Nancy did graduate from ASU in August 1984 and took a job in Round Rock, Texas working as a retail store manager for Bealls Dept Store.   She moved.  At first, my buddies thought this was a good thing since it allowed me to run around with them again instead of Nancyua or Nancywa.   (Side note:  She called me Joshua, so I called her Nancyua.  Together we were known as the Wa's).  

I found myself really missing Nancywa.   When I had a day off, I would prefer to drive to Round Rock and take Nancy to dinner, even if just for the evening and then back to San Angelo.  I had no interest in running around with my pack of guys and just wanted to be around Nancy.

The Engagement and Marriage


In early 1985 during one of my visits I brought up the idea of marriage with more seriousness than in the past.   I remember Nancy was confused because she wanted to know if this was a proposal.   I said "not really, I have no ring or anything.  It is just a test proposal".   I was an idiot.   She thought I would formally propose over Christmas of 1984 but instead I got her a Nintindo.  

Then on Feb 14, 1985 I had the world's small speck of diamond dust and formally proposed to Nancy.   She said yes.  We then set a date of June 2, 1985 and quickly went to work to meet it.

I quit my job in San Angelo at Alwoods Lumber on a Friday.   We were married in Brownwood at her grandparents home on Sunday, spent Sunday night in Austin at the Hyatt.  I started my new job at a lumber yard in Round Rock on Tuesday.   

True Soul Mates


While our entire time dating, the engagement, and the wedding was not normal,  I am not sure I would change anything.   As goofy as it was, Nancy and I discovered that we are best friends before anything and true soul mates.  

People gave me all kinds of advice back in the day about how I was getting married to young, I wasn't ready, etc...  Man, were they wrong.   Marrying Nancywa was the greatest decision and most life changing event of my life.  I am what I am because of Nancy.   

Reflecting upon our vows - for better, for worse, in good health and bad, etc.. - we have tested them all and passed them all.  Our faith has grown together.  Our family has grown together.  Our memory bank of nothing but good times has grown together.  

My prayer for you all is that you recognize and appreciate the soul mate you have now or that person finds a place in your heart the way Nancy has been in my heart and will be for enternity. 

2 comments:

  1. My husband and I got married when we were just 17 years old. Ours wasn't "normal" either. My sole mate and I have been husband and wife for 37 years...maybe normal isn't all it's cracked up to be. Praying for you and your family daily Josh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said, Debbie! Thanks Josh for yet another example of honesty.

      Delete