Saturday, February 22, 2014

Cancer Update - Time to try something else

Nancy and I met with Dr Garrett yesterday for my regular weekly update and blood work check.   All of blood work looked good, except CEA levels were creeping upwards again, but still low.  This just means I may have some new tumor growth but it is pretty slow growing.  

I have been taking Stirvarga pills every morning and the side effects have been pretty harsh on me.   I have been very very tired, which is normal side effect.  My mouth also is very sore with my tongue feeling like it is burned and a very sore throat, and losing my voice.  This has led to me not eating as much as I should so I have lost 10-15 lbs over the last 3-4 weeks.  The worst side effect was some excessive bleeding.   I am now taking a 10 day break from the pills to see if I can recover strength, gain some weight, and make sure the bleeding stops.  

We will meet with the Dr again on March 5 to decided on next option.   It will most likely be some type of infusion chemo.  This is where I get hooked up via my port and spend about 5-6 hours in the hospital at an infusion room.  Then I take a portable IV pump with me and get a continuous infusion for 48 hours.  Then back to MDA to get disconnected.  I am normally pretty sick and feel yucky for 3-5 days, and then recover pretty good.  This process would be repeated every other week.

If it is experimental chemo, then I have to be at MDA to receive it.  This will require me spending 3-4 days in Houston every other week.   If it is a standard chemo, then I may be able to go to Scotland-White in Temple for the procedures and be able to spend nights in Brownwood.   While the Temple option is preferred, I need to go with the option that will have the best result in containing the cancer.  

I have no regrets in moving to Brownwood and so glad we did this.   This is definitely the best place for Nancy to raise Ross.   The pace is very relaxing, the cost is exceptionally lower than anywhere else, we have strong network of friends & family here (and it's growing daily), and there is no better place for a little boy to grow up.   

Being on chemo the rest of my life will clearly require further personal sacrifice that includes a lot of discomfort and inconvenience.  This is not an ideal situation, but it is what you have to do in a cancer battle.  The other option is stopping all treatments, which is not an option for me as long as options are available.   The good news is that I can personally persevere and put up with any pain, discomfort, and inconvenience that is thrown at me.   I can do this because it will give me a little longer to watch Ross play sports, see Sarah more often, and spend another night with my wife.  I will rely on my God, my family, and my friends (my cloud of witnesses and happy few).  I will continue to run with perseverance and endurance.  I will keep my eyes on Jesus and will not grow a weary and lose heart.  That is not an option.    

Hebrews 12:1-3 (my personal guiding verse)
1  Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also alay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us brun with cendurance the race that is set before us,
1fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him bendured the cross, cdespising the shame, and has dsat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
3  For aconsider Him who has endured such hostility by sinners against Himself, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.




To leave the first comment, just click on the "no comment" link below


4 comments:

  1. Josh, this is Jerry Fulton (from San Angelo, now in San Antonio). I want to let you know that I pray daily in faith and in the name of Jesus for you and several other friends in my life who are battling cancer. I want to thank you for your bravery and eloquence. I admire your walk with God and your witness. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jerry! I really appreciate the support and prayers. BTW I have a lot of memories of you in Jr High and High School of always being really excited about something. I think the topic changed a lot, but could always count on you to be excited about! Always cheered me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My love and prayers are with you and your whole family. Loved your blog about Cabinda. You are so right that being a Christian is about one day, Sunday, but the whole of your life. I take comfort in knowing that God walks with you on your journey and carries you when you need it. We were never promised an easy life through Christ, but with Him and through Him we can do all things. Much love, Cathy Carpenter McRorey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blogs, your updates, your faith and getting to know my big brother in a way I have never known you. I am so very proud of you and love you very much. Prayer never stops and I learn from you daily. Nancy Kay

    ReplyDelete